A hoarder house can be an overwhelming and hopeless place. It may feel like no matter how hard you try; nothing can be done to help your loved one overcome their compulsive hoarding habit. But it’s important to remember that hoarders are not by choice—they have a disorder that makes it difficult to part with certain objects.
In this post, we’ll explore why hoarders hang on to objects and how a hoarder’s house clean up can help alleviate some of the distress associated with hoarding. Keep reading to learn more about it.
What Is A Hoarding Disorder?
Hoarding disorder is a mental health condition characterized by an inability to let go of objects and an excessive need to accumulate more items. This often results in extreme clutter and disorganization in hoarder homes, leading to impaired functioning due to space constraints and/or safety concerns.
Some hoarders hoard out of fear they will need the items in the future. In contrast, others hoard because they have strong attachments to objects, have difficulty organizing and discarding items, or are driven by nostalgia.
Hoarding Disorder Diagnosis
A diagnosis of HD requires the following:
- A person collects and keeps many items, even things that appear useless or of little value to most people.
- The items clutter the living spaces and keep the person from using the rooms as intended.
- The items cause distress or problems in day-to-day activities.
Reasons Why People With Hoarding Disorders Hang On To Objects
According to Carolyn Rodriguez, Ph.D., there are 3 reasons why people hang on to objects:
- Something reminds them of a happy time or a loved one: An object can remind them of happy memories and sentimental moments.
- The aesthetic of the object: Some objects may be visually pleasing, and hoarders may want to keep them around even if they don’t need them.
- The object could be useful someday: Some hoarders may think the item could be useful in the future, so they’ll hoard it just in case.
Junk Magicians Offers The Most Effective Hoarding Clean Up Services
Stop compulsive hoarding and restore your hoarder house with the help of Junk Magicians. Our team of experienced professionals can help you quickly and efficiently remove all of the clutter and items that hoarders typically accumulate.
We understand how difficult it is to part with these objects, so we handle hoarder clean-ups sensitively and compassionately. With our hoarding clean-up services, we can assure you will get back your hoarder house in a much safer and more organized condition. Get in touch with us today.